I was speaking with someone the other day about a job I needed done on my house.
Near the end of the conversation they made some comment about Madison House and then followed up with this,
“I’ve heard a lot of good things about you.”
I hesitated for a second and then responded with a smile,
“Thanks. If you hear anything bad about me I would think that is true as well.”
They laughed, but not really. I think the nakedness of the idea caught them off guard. They recovered quickly, a very classy man, he was.
Kimberley is an amazing woman. She’s always writing incredible things about me. I don’t have her same perspective on me. I see a never ending mess ahead of me that I’m struggling to give back to Christ on daily basis, mostly failing but with patches of light that help me continue.
Kimberley is electric, an Adonis, a blazing fire on a long bitterly cold day. She is entirely the funniest woman I’ve ever met and the gentlest heart.
To hear other men talk about their wives, then listen as Kimberley imparts to me marriages she catches glimpses of, I feel sorrow and joy and the guilt of a survivor. With Kimberley in my life I KNOW I went through the war and came out on the other side; wife, children, and job, all intact and accounted for.
So here it goes: Kimberley is always writing down lists of things she is thankful for, so here is my list of Kimberley’s joys and the treasure that I have found in being with her.
1. She gets up and does devotions for over an hour.
2. No, seriously, she gets up EVERY MORNING and does devotions for over an hour!
3. She never nags. I can’t explain that, it never happens. I’ve never felt nagged.
4. She is incredibly respectful of me in front of the kids.
5. She is respectful of me in front of the kids and others even though I don’t deserve it.
6. Kimberly respects me in private, public, socially, and at work, even when we’re in the middle of an idiotic fight.
7. She spends hours sitting with me and gently rubbing her hands over my back while we read and listen to music together in the evenings.
8. During this time a kid will inevitably poke their messed head of hair around the corner and yell, “Mommy, I poop my pants!” or, “Mommy, Lyla throw up on her bed and it stinky!” Kimberley works with me to clean up any mess.
9. I sleep very little but when I do I may as well be dead, and Kimberley, who Is a lite sleeper will deal with most of the 2am kid problems without trying to wake me or making me feel bad the next day.
10. I interrupt people. It’s a really bad habit, worse than smoking, and Kimberley quietly waits while I jibber jabber about whatever nonsense was in my head and then quietly continues after I’ve wound down.
11. Kimberley is amazing at taking a dollar and making it stretch out to the end of forever.
12. The bed is always made. It is with great joy that I enter our bedroom to find that the covers are clean, warm, and soft.
13. I wake up with Kimberley’s arms wrapped around me.
14. If I complain, it’s not at Kimberley. It is for more time with Kimberley. The communication is strong; I want to be with her, I want more of her, she is the safest place on earth. Whenever there is gunfire and sirens outside the house, I’m not worried; Christ is with us and Kimberley is with me.
15. Don’t you think Kimberley is a sexy name? I do. Kimberley, Kimberley, Kimberley…
16. Hair, make-up, clothes, I don’t know how she does it but she always looks like fire from the gods and I often find myself staring like an idiot. Yes, idiot. Wake up you fool! But I don’t want to wake up, I want to stay here forever, with only you.
17. Other women just aren’t getting in the door. They may as well be blind. Where is the door? Only Kimberley knows, and she can let herself in and take up residence whenever she pleases.
18. I love making Kimberley laugh. I’m so thankful she likes my sense of humor because it gives me great pleasure to see her throw her head back and enjoy the peace of laughing.
19. In an age of such sexual, unmitigated, dis-holy catastrophe, Kimberley is a very modest dresser. Not Amish, stylish.
20. Eric Clapton said it better, “Yellow Tigers crouched in jungles in her dark eyes.”
21. Not much phases me, but I have to admit, if Kimberley is gone 15 minutes later than she said she would be I get dry mouth and start internally freaking out that she is dead or maimed or has been kidnapped by terrorists or all other manner of hideous horrible. Then she breezes in the door, laughs, and kisses away all the ugly manifestations of the monsters of my imagination.
22. Lastly, for this list, “My baby don’t mess around because she loves me so and this I know for sure.” -Andre 3000-
I love you Kimberley and it is a logistical impossibility for a me to encapsulate the essence of your radiance with a list of poorly stated, “22 reasons.”
You are the only woman that can break me with a flash of her eyes and a tilt of her head. All other woman are wax candles, dissolving in a river of imprecations before your insatiable flame. I have only ever been with you; I will only ever be with you. 16 years have been too short to know you and a 1000 more will never do.
Eternity will have to suffice.
I love you, I love you, I love you.